Used all over Italy as a popular brew method, the Moka Pot is an excellent way to prepare coffee on the stovetop. Requiring a bit more attention than some of the other brew methods, the resulting coffee can be worth it; a well balanced, medium bodied brew with distinct aromas.
- Fill base of Moka pot with water to just below valve. Pre-warmed, but not boiling water results in a faster brew time. If your Moka Pot is taking more than five minutes, you may want to try this.
- Insert funnel into base.
- Grind beans fine, a little finer than for a cone filter drip.
- Add grounds to funnel and tamp down evenly; wipe away excess grounds.
- Keeping the base still and upright, screw on top.
- Place Moka pot on cook top on medium with the lid open. If using gas, adjust flame to match the diameter of the base.
- Remove from heat when 2/3 of coffee is in upper chamber.
- Pour into a warm mug. Enjoy!